Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My boy

UPDATE AT END OF POST!!!!

It sounds like Donna and I had the same idea today...for some reason, rain makes us want to bake oatmeal chocolate chip cookies! Max "helped" me, but was more concerned about how long it would take until he could actually put one in his mouth!

Check out Max's MAJOR bedhead - I think he could fly with those wings!




After we made our cookies we went to see Mary, one of Max's physical therapist. Max has been working with Mary since he was one. They worked on balance today. Mary would put a sticker on Max's foot and he would have to lift his foot up and take the sticker off while balancing on one foot. She said he's getting better at it! I always love when Max finishes therapy because he comes running out looking for me - I took my camera today and tried to get a picture of it. I LOVE that boy!

Max and Mary

Just a few more random pics from today. Check out Max's cool tighty whities!

Max did this with his arm and said "take a picture."

Max and daddy on their way upstairs to go to bed - FRONT VIEW

BACK VIEW - check out those cheeks!


We go to Max's eye doctor tomorrow. We've been going every 4 weeks lately because Max has been diagnosed with glaucoma/high pressure in his left eye. We've been doing eye drops every morning and night, but they haven't brought the pressure down to where it needs to be. Tomorrow is the day where we will most likely decide to move to the next step if it's still high. The next step would be surgery. He would have it done at Duke by a glaucoma specialist. We've seen her before and she comes with great recommendations.

Just a little history on Max's eye issues. He has very little vision in his left eye. He had ROP(retinopathy of prematurity) laser surgery in both eyes at 4 months old. He then developed a cataract in his left eye as a result of the ROP laser surgery. He had the cataract removed and had to wear a contact up until his glaucoma was diagnosed several months ago (yes, I put in/took out a contact since he was 5 months old-lots of fun). Somewhere along the line the cornea in his left eye began to thicken. We patch his good eye every day so that he is forced to use his left eye in hopes that it will get stronger. He will never have good vision in his left eye, but we just want to get as much as possible. So, that's the 411!

Say a little prayer for us tomorrow morning! :)

UPDATE...
Okay, next time I really need something to happen I'm going to go to my intercessor blog friends...Max got the BEST report we've had since he was originally diagnosed!!!! His pressure was well within the normal range. Don and I were completely shocked and I think the doctor was too. I fully expected to go in there today and talk about when Max would have his surgery. Now, the pressure can constantly change so we're not out of the woods, but at least it's come back down - I'll take that! THANK YOU GUYS for all your sweet comments and for the prayers - they worked! :))))) Here's a picture of him at his appointment this morning.




post signature

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Max is so precious! I loved your pictures. I will certainly be praying for you all today and hope you will get the best of news!!!
Blessings,
Shay

Donna said...

Okay, your son is ADORABLE! I can just imagine seeing him run out after his class! Too cute:)

Thanks for the background on his eye. I will definitely be praying for him today and for y'all to make the right decision.

Donna said...

BTW, I love how his underpants say "SPEED"! Laughing...

Denise said...

Very sweet post! I will be praying for you too this morning. Hold on.....okay, just prayed a prayer for you!

Now first, your son is so cute! The bed head/wings picture reminds me of this girl I went to school with in Highschool. She had big curls/wings on both sides of her head--somewhat like Farrah Faucet, only BAD! The meanies in our class called her "Piedmont" after the old Piedmont airlines. Kids can be so mean. Oh,and in class if the teacher asked her a question and she got it wrong, someone would yell out, "Piedmont's not flyin too high today." Sad, but a little funny too.

Second, We have the mind thing going on too. I have an undies post of Harry Jack coming up too. Love Max's speed! I need to get some of those for my boys--big Dan too!

Thanks for posting about Max, it was very very sweet! Have a good day and keep us posted about Max eye's.

Dolly said...

Ah, Jennifer, I LOVED this post. That is one loved little boy and I smiled as I looked at every picture. I almost got tears in my eyes when I saw the adorable picture of Max running out from therapy. You could tell he was so proud of himself and couldn't wait to see his momma. And the picture of his with his arm trick! Too cute! I am praying for you all this mroning too. Thanks for sharing!

Kristi Smalley said...

Jennifer, GOOD POST! GOOD POST! I have wondered how Max was doing and it is good to get an update on him. I laughed at the picture of your 4 year old SIFTING flour, I don't even sift my flour. LOL! I also made cookies - mine didn't have "roughage" as you and Donna's did. Mine were choc. chip with the new semi-sweet and white chocolate swirl chips. I have been good - Only 5 so far......

I love your hair! So chic, so edgy, so Victoria Beckamish!

I might have to report you and Donna for child pornography. You both posted your children's cracks on the same day. Poor kids, They don't get NO RESPECT!!!!!

You are a good mom. It is obvious you have been devoted to that little angel muffin. There is nothing sweeter than to see their little faces light up and run to you as they are yelling, "Mommy". I miss those days. Now Preston wants me to pull away from the building at school and he will walk to me. Doesn't want Mom to "pick" him up anymore. So sad! Parker cuddled on the couch with me last night and I was thinking, "AHHHH, this is the life".

Well, keep us updated on Sweet Max, we will all be praying for him. He is such a little trooper! Aren't you amazed at how kids can be so brave and work so hard! I'm about to cry right now just thinking about that happy little boy.

starzy18 said...

Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies sound yummy! I love the pictures! I can't believe how tall he is getting! I love the picture of him running to you after PT. I know that it must melt your heart! I will pray for you guys. I hope everything goes well.

Kristi Smalley said...

How did the appointment go this morning?

Kellars Mommy said...

Great news on Max's eye exam!!! Kellars vision in his rt eye isn't all that great, left eye is almost perfect though..Those cookies sure look yummy yum yum..So does Max have a lot of balance issues? Kellars balance is/was really bad, still not the greatest but it's coming around, I think his cerebellum bleed has a lot to do with it..

Dolly said...

GREAT news Jennifer. I came back to your blog just to see the sweet pictures of Max again and I saw the update. I love this little boy and I have never even met him. There's just something about him that is so endearing! Thanks for sharing the great news. PTL!

Anonymous said...

Great news, Jennifer! And look how good Max was at his appointment, putting his head in that contraption. We never have that kind of cooperation out of Archie at his eye appointments.

Kristi Smalley said...

THANK YOU JESUS!!!! Great news!! I hate when little kids have to go through surgeries of any kind. I bet you are SO RELIEVED!!! I agree with Dolly...there is just something about that little cutie-patutie!

Jennifer said...

Ahhh girls...you guys are so sweet! I wish you could all meet Max - he's a sweet, little turkey.

Denise - I am dying laughing about the Piedmont girl! I mean, how many years has it been since I've heard Piedmont Airlines. And I'm sure you NEVER called her that - did you? :)

Kristi - What...you don't sift your flour when baking? C'mon girl - that's rule #1!
Poor Preston - to see his mom driving up in the two-toned wood paneled 1980 station wagon must be hard on him. Poor little thing. :(

Dolly - you're so sweet!!! Now, I know you haven't even been married a year, BUT are babies on the brain yet??? :) No pressure, no pressure!

Melissa said...

Yeah for Max. I am so happy to hear about the eye news. I was really worried. He is able to do so much considering his visual problems.
On another note...The undies pic had me cracking up. He is going to kill you for that picture later.
Max is such a sweetie and I am so lucky to know him.
Melissa

Donna said...

I agree. I just want to give that boy a hug...especially in the picture when he's doing that cool trick with his arm!!! I prayed for y'all this morning and then this afternoon when I grabbed my hairspray and saw the words "MAX hold" I prayed for your little guy! I'm so glad to hear the good news! I think he looks like your husband in that updated shot from today.

Kristi Smalley said...

Denise, I too died laughing at the old Piedmont airlines comment. I can't imagine that kind of ugliness out of you. I used to fly Piedmont from Lynchburg to Charlotte in my LU days and then would connect to Dallas. Brings back memories. Whatever happened to them?

Jennifer, you know I traded my wood paneled station wagon for a really cool El Camino - brown colored. I have a horn I honk that plays the theme to the Dukes of Hazzard as I pull up. Would you be embarrassed about that? I bet he is embarrassed about the fuzzy dice I have hanging from the mirror - THAT'S IT....I need to get rid of the dice. Oh well, LOL!

Amy said...

Hi Jennifer, I'm lurking on your blog. That was a sweet post and Max is SO adorable and you can tell he loves his mommy! So happy for the wonderful report too!

Dolly said...

Kristi, I'm at work LOL at your comment. I can just picture you! Hilarious!

Jennifer said...

Hilarious Kristi! There was actually a kid in elementary school (here in Greenville) who's dad had one of those horns. We all thought it was so cool back then!

Donna - love the hairspray comment! The word MAX is on so many things. We were at McAlisters Deli yesterday and they had a sign for a SPUD MAX. Max said "Look Mommy." He's going to grow up thinking it's all about him!

Denise said...

It is neat how things pop out in our day to remind us to pray for people and different situations.

So happy to hear about the good report!

No Jennifer and Kristi, I was NEVER mean to Piedmont. I never called her that, but sadly I cannot remember her real name! I can fully picture her and her "wings" in my mind.

Piedmont Air was bought out by US Air or Delta I think, years ago. She was a nice fleet back in the day. Back in the day! (said slower)

Kim said...

Hi Jennifer,

I love his bed head...he is a little doll!....the cookies look yummy!!...it makes me want to bake with my Max, we haven't done that in a while. Hope your day is great!

Donna said...

Okay, Denise. Next time you're at mom and Dad's, look in your yearbook and get a picture of Piedmont and post it. I will testify that Denise was never mean to anyone. She's always been a sweetie. She's a nurturer!!

Dolly said...

Wasn't her name Crystal Lafan? or something like that? That's true Donna, Denise never made fun of anyone but I do remember being with her and April Dunn when we were little at the Presbyterian Home playing and some other girls came up. I remember Denise saying, "here comes some girls, let's pick a fight with them." hahahahaha!

Denise said...

I am LOL. That was funny DOlly. I remember that too. I must have felt a little presh from my peer April!

Unknown said...

Jennifer, I just caught up on this. Can I just tell you that I LOVE Max (must be the name). I think he would keep me in stitches. I want to be his friend. I also think he and Joy's Mary Farrell would make a DYNAMIC DUO! I'm thrilled about his good eye report. Keep us posted. WHAT A PUNKIN!

PS-Me LOOOOVE some Piedmont Airlines. My grandaddy worked for them his whole life and retired when it became USAir. :( He started out as a runway man and ended up a VP and when he retired, he hadn't taken ONE SINGLE SICK DAY IN 35 whole years. AMAZING! Ok...TMI...but ya'll said the word "Piedmont"!