Our super quick trip to Nashville was just that - super quick! We left Tuesday afternoon about 4:00 and got back last night about 10:15. The trip home last night got a little stressful when we went through the NC mountains on icy roads - can you say 2 mph with semi trucks all around you?? I think it took 10 years off my life! We stayed in Knoxville on Tuesday night and went to one of Don's favorite restaurants. Don went to law school at UT so we go there several times a year for football games and to see friends. I love Knoxville - such a cool college town!
Have any of you guys been to a small town funeral in the hills of Tennessee? If not, then it's something you need to do. I swear it felt like I was in a Saturday Night Live skit several times. Now, don't get me wrong, this lady was a wonderful woman and so sweet to me, but some of the things that happened yesterday made me chuckle. For instance...
**Why do old ladies always feel the need to stand by the casket and say "Doesn't she look pretty?"
**The words "mama" and "bubba" were used probably 50 times in the eulogy.
**The sweet preacher who did the funeral was 80+ years old. He told several stories and I don't think he ever once mentioned Don's aunt - I think he must have forgotten what funeral he was doing.
Anyway, here are just a few pictures from the past few days. Hope everyone has had a great day with your Valentine!
Don eating his favorite peanut butter pie in Knoxville.
Here's Don with his 90 year old grandmother.
Poor Max...this cookie is all he got for Valentines and it's not even pink or red - the store only had yellow ones. Please notice the snot running from his nose.
This is for my Valentine! I've been wearing this shirt on Valentine's Day for the past 3 years, but since I didn't really go anywhere today a picture is all I got! I love you honey!







17 comments:
I love that shirt Jennifer.
A little side note about the funeral. I had an Uncle Bubba when I was younger. That is what we always called him and I did not know his real name for years. I did not know that that was weird until I went to college. Glad you are back and safe.
P.S. The renovation stinks becuase we do not get to visit anymore!
Melissa
Great post. I am glad you are home and safe.
Okay, First of all, cute little Max, bless his heart! Love the pix.
Second, My older sister, the one who never comments, went to UT to get her Master in speech path. She and her hubby LOVE THE VOLS!!! They go to games there all the time too.
Third, Gotta get me one of those shirt to wear next Vday.
Fourth, No kidding on the funeral talk. Try Blakely, GA! Small town in the middle of cotton fields. HOT with NO AC!
Glad your back! I love the t-shirt! I hope Max feels better!
OK, I am laughing so hard picturing you at that funeral. Mike has done several funerals like that over the years and I stopped going b/c if me and Mike made eye contact, I would get tickled and I couldn't stop.
Please tell me that to top it all off, they serenaded everybody with that wretched song, "I go to the garden alone, while the dew is still on the roses....."
It is good for you Jennifer to get back to your roots. Don't want you becoming a little Diva on us.
OK, where did you get the shirt?
LOL at this post! I can just imagine the ladies commenting on Don's Aunt! I love the pic of Max, too. Couldn't you make him some pink or red heart cookies? J/K!
I love the shirt. I may have to make one of those for Vday 09!
Good post Jennifer. Maybe you'll see my sister and her hubby at the VOLS games like Denise was saying. I think her ring tone plays "Rocky Top". They are die hards!
Actually Dolly....I am sad to say that last time I was in town...Christmas....her ring tone was "Just the Good Ole Boys"...the theme song from the Dukes of Hazzard....she said that Juette (her husband) changed it to that for her????
hahah! I didn't know that Denise. Well, thanks for letting me know.
By the way Jennifer, Don looks SO FAMILIAR to me. Has he EVER been to Lynchburg or Liberty for anything? I feel like I've met him somewhere along the line. That's a sweet picture of him and his grandma.
Jennifer, LOL about the funeral. Oh to be a fresh set of eyes on a scene! Priceless. Sweet Max AND hubby AND shirt. I love it all! Good post!
Did you also have a shirt when you were pregnant that said "BABY" and had an arrow pointing down? Just wondering.
Your ability to tell a story in your post cracks me up..Sorry that Max isn't feeling well, this craaaazy weather!!! Kellar now has this rather pretty shade of green trickling down onto his top lip, but good news is I think he's over the flu..haha..I too do love the shirt..Oh and my brother has been called "bubba" his whole life, haha..
Kristi, are you making fun of me? Actually, I still wear the Baby/arrow shirt and people just think I'm pregnant instead of just having a gut. Hmmm....come to think of it, maybe you should get Muffin one.
The VOLS...another connection to the Reber family (Kristi - I think I may have you beat). Your sister may have been there when Don was - 1991-maybe 1994???
Dolly - I don't think Don has ever been to Liberty or that area. Now, he has done some underwear modeling and a commercial for Cialis. Maybe that's where you've seen him???
First off, Dayna went to UT from 92-94. Maybe she and Don were in the same hallway at the same time?! Also, when her husband calls, her phone rings to Good Ol' Boys. When anyone else calls, it's the Rocky Top Anthem.
I have to admit, I secretly laugh when pregnant girls wear those shirts. You know the ones "Coming This Spring" or "I'm Pregnant, not Fat".
I know how you felt- Scott was out of town in Denver and I was home sick with a migraine. Not the best Valentine's but I had the girls and they took good care of me. Glad you had a safe trip!
Shay
love the blog! your secret is safe!
I giggled when I read you thought you might be in a SNL skit. Brent has said that before about some of his patients in reference to a "Medicine in Appalachia" skit.
Sorry to hear about the death in the family and that Max has been under the weather. Hope he's on the mend!
We had the same experience once traveling in a small 4 door car amongst all of the 18 wheelers. It happened between 2-4a.m. I STILL have nightmares of dying on that road. Thankfully the boys were only 1yr-2yr and don't remember it.
You crack me up with all of the old lady comments! So true!
Post a Comment