Anyway, our neighbors (who are in our Sunday school class) actually had a dessert "meet and greet" last night with one of the missionary couples. We were not able to attend, but I heard about it this morning. Okay, check this out - this guy is a "hitchhiker" missionary. Yep - you heard me. He lives in the LA area and hitchhikes around the LA highways. If he gets picked up by a non-believer then he witnesses to them. If he gets picked up by a Christian then he moves on to the next car. Now - does this sound strange to anyone else? It's definitely innovative, but is it safe?
Another funny story...my neighbor, Brentley, said that at the end of the evening everyone gathered in a circle while the hitchhiker missionary prayed - close to a 15 minute prayer. Well, her little 4 year old daughter was getting a little impatient - after about 10 minutes of prayer she just blurted out "AMEN." Brentley said she about died - I thought it was hilarious!







11 comments:
A person that hitchhikes! It sounds a little strange to me. I know I wouldn't feel safe doing it or letting someone in my car!
Pretty funny your neighbor's daughter blurting out "Amen!"
Yeah, I have to agree. I honestly don't think I'd pick up a hitch-hiker...esp. a man. But if some people do it, then I guess it's a good way to witness. I'm wondering about the safety thing, too.
That story of the little girl IS SO FUNNY! I can see Harry Jack doing that.
Cool way to do mission work. I guess you have to "be that type" to get into someone's car OR actually PICK UP A HITCH HIKER!!!!
Love the name Brentley....so cute!!! A friend of mine tried to get me to name Olivia - Brinley. She wanted that name for her girl but had a little boy she named Nash. She is so edgy.
Anyway, Jennifer, I think you need to get out of yourself and get involved in missions. That would be life-changing for you. In fact, why don't you try your hand at hitchhiking one day while your parents watch Max. Let us know and we would all be praying for you. Also, you could go to a local truck stop and go from truck to truck and witness. Just a thought! Seriously, I guess those kind of people need Jesus too.
When are you doing your family post?????? Speaking of family, I don't know if I ever told you this. I went to the GCA homecoming football game not this Sept. but in 2006. My nephew was playing so I went to see him. That night they were having your brother, Paul's Class of 86 reception in the Coleman Center. I had to go in there to go to the bathroom and stopped and said hello to a few folks. Somehow I struck up conversation with your SIL not knowing who she was. She introduced herself and said she was Paul Dunn's wife. I said, "Oh, did you meet at Bob Jones?" She looked at me kind of funny and said, "No we met at a bar we both worked at." I felt like an IDIOT!!! I thought all you Dunn kids went to BJ. I didn't know. Oh well! I had to laugh at myself for that one.
My friend Brent Moxey works at the North American Mission Board in Acworth, GA. He loves it there. I wonder if any non-christian hitch hiker picker upers ever get annoyed and let him off earlier than he needs to be let off? That would be a scary way to witness but VERY creative! It's like witnessing to the person sitting next to you on the airplane for an international flight when your stuck for several hours.
Kristi, I'm laughing so hard, I'm shaking! I can just picture Jennifer (since I haven't personally met her) walking down a deserted highway with her thumb up waiting for a lost soul to pick her up.
Okay, I'm if lying, I'm dying...there was also a guy who is a "trucker" missionary!! So, I'm assuming he hits up the truck stops. Seriously, did anyone else know about these types of missionaries??? You know, I'm thinking the trucker missionary could be my mentor...you know, teach me the ropes? You think Don would be okay with that?
I think I remember my SIL telling me she met you. Okay, they worked at On The Border - don't make it sound so wretched. :) Paul actually went into the Marines for 6 years after high school and then went to SMU. They have two little boys who are very cute and very funny.
I know, I know - I've got to do a post about all my family. You know, I started this blog as a way of remembering sweet things about my little boy - who would have thunk it would turn into such a stressful, anxiety ridden process! The pressure is almost too much for me to handle!
Laughing Jennifer! I am only repeating the exact verbage she said. She didn't say, "On the Border"....she said at the bar he worked at. That was all. I'm glad to know it was all about fajitas and not hard liquor. Ha!
You can't do the trucker missionary thing.....they will think you are a truck stop prostitute....however, if you are ever short on cash........
BTW - We do wish you would tell us a little more about sweet Max. This blog has beome "all about you" and how fast YOU can type, where YOU are going, what activities YOU are a part of....
Poor little Max, poor, poor Max.
hahaha! Yeah, Jennifer. For one of your upcoming posts, do one on little Max. Tell your fans all about the little guy.
I think he would have to be pretty brave. I know I would never pick him up! We had the same service at our church about 3 years ago and it was amazing- could totally feel the Holy Spirit all over the place!!! Hope you all are doing well this week!
Post a Comment