I began watching the inauguration today right as President Bush and President-elect Obama were getting in the limo for the ride over to the Capitol (wouldn't you love to know the extent of their conversation). I missed the first part of the actual ceremony because I had to go pick up Max from school but was able to watch the rest of it. Even though I didn't vote for Obama, I still find inauguration day pretty exciting and so "American." Unfortunately, some of those feelings went away when the Rev. Joseph Lowery got up to say the benediction...here is a quote of the very last part of his prayer."Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around, when the red man can get ahead, man; and when WHITE WILL EMBRACE WHAT IS RIGHT. That all those who do justice and love mercy say Amen. Say Amen"
Are you kidding me? Did he just insinuate that "whites" (including Obama who is half white) always do the wrong thing and don't do the right thing? I was appalled, offended and sad that he still wants to promote the divisiveness that supposedly he's been working his whole life to get rid of...just doesn't make sense to me. And by the way, something tells me that President Obama wasn't too thrilled that after his grand speech about "coming together" that someone would end the entire ceremony with those words.
Anyway, Max knows who our new president is and I'm working on vice-president...you know, that Joe Biden who, according to Rev. Lowery, apparently just can't seem to "embrace what is right".
One more very important thing...I'm LOVING Sasha's orange and pink combination! An A+ to her and Malia on their attire!






