I just saw an article on Foxnews.com and now I'm kind of sad. The firefly population has dropped 70% in the past three years! And you know what, this immediately struck me because they're right...I hardly ever see fireflies anymore...do you???Catching "lightning bugs" is something I loved doing when I was a kid. We would get an old Mason jar (after we had eaten all of my mom's homemade jelly out of it), poke holes in the top of it with an ice pick, and then spend all night trying to catch lightning bugs to put in our jar.
I mean, who would have thought fireflies would (and could) go away? It's just really strange to me. Anyway, here's the article...
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,413981,00.html







8 comments:
That is strange. My dad would do the same thing with lightning bugs. I remember just watching them and saying "Oh, there is another one."
Never really thought about it. True dat! I hate being outside, here in FL, so I never really noticed. But I do remember catching them as a child in old Virginny!
Way to be on top of current events Jennifer. Way to be on top!
I loved catching lightning bugs as a child. We would get the mason jar out, fill it with grass ( hey I thought they had to eat grass when I was kid..) and poke holes in the top. Joey has never heard of such, I told him he was quite a deprived kid to have not been so lucky to catch lightning bugs! I see them around here at night, but now that you mention it not near as many as when I was younger!
Jennifer, YOU are one of the reasons that there is a shortage of fireflies. Our generation killed all the adults by suffocating them in our Mason jars and now there are very few survivors to repopulate. LOL!
There is a shortage but I do have to say that we have fireflies around us. Maybe we are far enough out of Dallas.
That's true Jennifer! I never really thought about that but now that you mention it, I haven't seen many this summer. I LOVED catching them when I was little and I can still smell the smell of my hands and the jar with all the lightening bugs in them. I remember keeping the jar in my room at night thinking it would be a good night light!
That is really sad. We do not have fireflies in the Lowcountry so when I moved to Greenville I really enjoyed seeing them at dusk.
Interesting point you raise. What has happened to all of the fireflies?
A generation of children won't even know them.
I am so glad you posted about fireflies- Scott and I were out on the golf cart this past weekend after dark and made the comment we should see lots of fireflies across our big yard but didn't see one single one- now we know why... that is sad!!!
Post a Comment