Thursday, December 4, 2008

I'm a cry baby

Today I went to the Meyer Center Ladies Luncheon that happens every year around this time. The Meyer Center is a school for children with special needs and the school Max attended the past several years. This is the 3rd year I've been and the 3rd year I've sat in my seat crying like a baby. I can't help it...when parents of children who attend or have attended the Meyer Center get up to speak I just lose it. The first lady who spoke had a son who attended the MC years ago and now he has graduated from college and teaches English in another country - what an inspiration!

The 2nd parent who spoke was my friend, Kelly (go check out her blog about her sweet AnnaKate...precious). Kelly did a TERRIFIC job and was the main reason for my snotty nose and swollen eyes! :) She talked about the grieving process a parent goes through when they learn their child won't be a "normal" child, but then how you get to a point where you can't imagine them being anything other than who they are...they're perfect the way they are. Wow - she hit a nerve with me on that one! I can remember having this emotion right after I had Max and grieving the fact that I missed out on so much of my pregnancy and then that Max would probably have a lot of issues even after we brought him home. But, I also know that I was able to experience something very life changing that a lot of people never will get to experience and I think that's kind of neat - as strange as that may sound. Now Max will probably grow out of his special needs and probably won't need therapy after a few years (we're so thankful and really blessed), but he will always have vision issues and his eyes will always look a little different - something I can really stress myself out about if I really think about it. I just think how cruel some children can be and how his feelings could be hurt over the years - I hate to even think about it. But, like one of the speakers mentioned today, the Meyer Center gives children the confidence to go out in the world and deal with whatever comes their way...this is what I hope for in Max.

Anyway, I'm rambling but this luncheon always puts me in reflective mood and makes me really grateful for the Meyer Center and all they have done for Max and our family. Max attends a K-4 program at our church now, and although we're over at the MC once a week for therapy, I still miss seeing everyone on a regular basis.

Oh, and I've got to throw this in because I'm so excited about my early Christmas gift to myself. It's called the Flip video camera...have you guys heard of these? It's very small and attaches easily to your computer (the little USB thing just flips back in). I've been wanting one for awhile and got one on sale the day after Thanksgiving. Check out the video I took at the luncheon today - it's Edwin McCain (a local Greenville boy) singing one of his popular songs. Edwin is a huge supporter of the Meyer Center and has been for several years. I'm so mad, though, because I didn't think of my camera until after Kelly spoke...sorry Kelly! I would have loved to have gotten your whole speech on video. :(



Oh, and while we're at it, here's a short video of Max saying the Pledge of Allegiance.


Oh, and one more thing...today was my sister's birthday...Happy Birthday Andrea!! My mom made fried chicken (yum) and we had a little birthday celebration tonight. It's her 9th anniversary of her 35th birthday!

16 comments:

Kristi Smalley said...

Jennifer, Jennifer, Jennifer....Oh my goodness, what a great post! You articulated everything so well that it had me sniffling as well. I would have loved to be there at the luncheon today. I have an article Carrie sent to me regarding special needs children that puts it so well. It is so good and will make you cry for sure. I am going to send it to you.

I love your new camera. I was actually looking at one today. Tell me more about it because I was a little overwhelmed at the electronics store today.

Happy 9th birthday Andrea! You are such a young, purty thing. I hope you had a special day and that JEnnifer did something really nice for you such as a pedicure, back massage or cleaned your house.

Momofgirls said...

Talk about hitting a nerve! I was crying reading your post! I LOVE being around other mothers of special needs kids, especially those who embrace the gift that their special child is..I have so many great books that helped bring me out of the "feel sorry for myself" phase.

It used to bother me that I would never have the "perfect" family picture (how stupid and shallow!) But I would have missed out on the thrill of the poop in the potty every morning!! (and not being able to flush it until EVERYONE comes to see it...."TaDa" she always says!!)

Max's Pledge of Allegiance....how impressive! What a cutie! I think he and Lindsay would have a ball together!!

Still praying for those little babies!!

Thanks for the blessing today!!

Kelly said...

You are so sweet! I was honored to able to speak. The whole luncheon was an amazing experience.

That camera is so cool. Perfect for us SLR girls who don't always have a video camera handy.

Kelly

Kim said...

Let me know how you like that camera. I am thinking of asking for a camcorder for Christmas.

Unknown said...

Oh, Jenny...what a ministry they have...and you too! I loved reading your heart. Max IS perfect and you are blessed. I've said it once and I'll say it a million times but I just love him!

OK...the video cam...do tell more...can you skype people w/ that and they can see you and vice versa if you don't have a cam on your puter? I might add that to the Christmas list.

Love your Merry Christmas header!

theowensclan said...

Jennifer, I am so glad you were able to go again this year. I reflect on what you said about experiencing something many people will never experience. It is a life changing experience. Having been through it mayself, twice, I can say I wouldn't change anything. Like Max, my boys are doing a lot better, but still struggle with issues they will have for the rest of their lives. Their issues affect more people out side our families than we realize. So it has an impact in many ways. (Sorry for rambling.) It's good to talk with people who understand.

God Bless, Kathi

P.S. Love that new technology thing!

Donna said...

Clap, Clap, Clap! Jennifer, that was a sweet post and I loved reading it. I can imagine how wonderful that luncheon was for you and with your hormones raging right now, I bet it was even tougher not to cry!!

I loved hearing littl Max's voice! He's so sweet and I loved the way he pronounced many of the words:)

sassy seamstress said...

i know exactly how you felt about leaving the meyer center. our oldest went to a special needs school (although this school is for birth to age 22) for about 2 and 1/2 years. when we had to leave, I cried my eyes out. they were so wonderful!

sassy seamstress said...

BTW, have any of ya'll ever read the poem "Welcome to Holland"? It perfectly describes the life of special needs parents. Jennifer, it's on my facebook if you haven't ever read it.

Nancy said...

Sweet words! What a wonderful place. And I do believe you would be a wonderful resource for other mom's going through similar experiences with their children.

FYI - I do know who Edwin McCain is. He used to play at Band Parties in Clemson. Good for him for supporting such a wonderful place.

gbad said...

Beautiful post, beautiful child!

Denise said...

Wow! Sweet post Jennifer. Those hormones are working double time!

Max is a beautiful child. I know you are proud of him. I understand your fears of what peers can do in the words they could say as Max goes to school. But Max will be fine, because he has you and Don to come home to--a place of love and comfort.

Windsor said...

What a raw and beautiful post!

Anonymous said...

Loved your post! And the videos. And I think I am going to ask for a Flip for Christmas too!!!
Shay

Kellars Mommy said...

Great post! I can only hope that I will find a great school here for Kellar, there are times I think we need to pack up and move to be sure that Kellar has all he'll need as far as schooling, we just don't seem very *advanced* in the prematurity/school area and there are days I drive myself insane w/worry and then there's always that lovely *guilt* or it's my fault b/c my body failed type thing and then the vicious cycle continues! Love the video of Max!

Suz said...

Jennifer, I loved your post and could completely relate to the "crying your eyes out" as soon as another parent stands up to talk about their SN child. The grief that families feel can be overwhelming and isolating, but God is so good as He gives us understanding, acceptance, and hope as we trust in HIS sovereignty and plan for our kids. I remember the day I threw away my "What to Expect the First Year" book....Micah was 9 months old and I was grieving so much. Only a parent who has been there could ever understand that kind of pain. But we are blessed!! Thanks so much for sharing your heart.

I loved seeing the video of Max...what a precious little man. I'm praying for you all as you go through this pregnancy. Love you!