Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Our weekend

Our life over the past few days...

Friday night I picked up my mom and headed over to Southside Christian School for their annual alumni homecoming event. I'm not actually a Southside alumni, but I did go to school there from K-5 through 8th grade, all my sisters graduated from there and my mom and dad both worked at the church so I feel like I earned my right to attend. It was also my sister's (Andrea) 25 year high school reunion weekend so we wanted to be there and support her as she rolled her wheelchair into the room.

I had a really good time, but I will say that going to these alumni events always brings back one bad memory that I just can't seem to shake...ALL three of my sisters (Shari, Kim and Andrea) were crowned homecoming queen at Southside - I was not. The inevitable question of "Now, what year were you homecoming queen?" always seems to come up. You see, I moved to Texas before my freshman year and did manage to make it on homecoming court, but that was as far as I got. I disappointed the entire Dunn family by breaking the tradition (my brother was even crowned homecoming king at the homecoming bonfire his junior year). I tell my family that I'M SURE (SO SURE) if I would have stayed at Southside that I would have been a shoo-in. I mean, some Rachel girl got it our senior year...who is she, is she still representing the title well like I would have?

Here's some of the class of 1983.These were the 3 amigos back in high school. I use to be in awe of their fashionable gauchos, their glasses with their initials on them and their hot boyfriends - no seriously I was.My growin' up buddy, Sandy. By the way, I really need to invest in some of those blotter sheets that take the oil off of your face.
Saturday was my mom's 39th (plus a few) birthday!!! So, she and I started off the day by going walking at our church's walking track. She's been walking 5 miles 5 times a week, but she took it easy on me and only did 3 miles. Don, Max and I had planned to go to Furman's homecoming o n Saturday afternoon, but Max still had a fever and I was in the middle of potting some plants and making my grand Halloween/fall display - a big HA HA on that one! I'm thinking it would look really good in front of a double wide.
Max still had a fever on Sunday morning so we didn't go to church. This allowed me to try my hand at Bloom's triple coupon weekend. BIG TIME ROOKIE MISTAKE - never go on the last day of triples or the shelves will be bare. Literally, the things that you could have gotten free or for pennies were completely gone. I did manage to find a few things and this is what I got for $8.74 (my total before coupons was almost $23). I'm hoping one day to get under $5 on a triple coupon weekend so I can be like my coupon heroes in Charlotte!
Sunday night everyone came over my house for my mom's birthday dinner. I made Hannah's creamy baked chicken recipe and it was a hit - thanks HPS! I also made crockpot cake and I personally didn't think it was all that good. It just wasn't as rich and gooey as I was hoping it would be. Anyway, we hung out, talked politics and watched the Cowboys lose...again.

See, my mom may be 60 something (you're welcome, mom) but she can still pull a wagon.Here's Smitty still trying to convince Daddy that he should support the Fair Tax.Don is grinning because the Cowboys lost. How could I have married someone that hates the Cowboys...should have been in the pre-nup.Check out my sister's and my mom's cars...originality doesn't run in our family I guess.

That's the weekend update!

12 comments:

Kristi Smalley said...

Jennifer Dunn Clardy! What a post! It was so vast, so picturesque, so multi-topical! I'm impressed. YOu are really getting into this new computer.

First of all, I need to talk to you about this queen thing. There is obviously some real issues here that I need to address. Don't you at all feel bad over the fact that ALL your siblings were royalty and that you were the ONLY ONE who didn't ever win. You just stop right now and tell yourself, "I, Jennifer Dunn Clardy don't need a metal crown with fake rhinestones to define who I am". "I am royalty before the Lord". "I am not a reject - I am accepted." "People like me." "I AM POPULAR!". That's right, Jenny...you keep it up. Actually, the GCA and Lavon Drive Baptist world is so generational and tight and political that the fact that in a few short years you infiltrated to such a degree that you were Homecoming Court is MAJOR. There is obviously some unfinished business in this area so you go to a party store and buy yourself a crown and have Don take you onto the field at Furman and you have your own crowning ceremony.

That is neat that Southside does a reunion every year. GCA rarely does anything. I have to say that Andrea looks 15 years younger than her classmates. As for your oil, that was nothing but your natural glow and dew-kissed cheeks.

Now on to Don.....I don't want to stir up trouble but you have Biblical grounds for divorce. I mean, hating the Cowboys???? They are God's team. Wasn't their loss on Sunday pitiful? I am still trying to find some scalper who has cheap tickets so I can take the boys this season before they tear the stadium down.

This is getting long so I will curtail my comments by saying I am proud of your couponing. I am just now starting back due to the news that Texas and OK Kroger's now do triple and double all the time. YEAH!

Happy Birthday Sandra, You don't look a day over 40. I'm glad you are pulling wagons instead of "falling off the wagon". Ha! I hope you had a special day.

Wen Wen said...

Krister that last comment about pulling the wagon and not falling off of it was so a Mike comment AGAIN!!!! Enough already!! Do not start becoming like your husband or I will have to go to drastic measures---

Jenny girl regarding the whole homecomng queen thing wasn't there some Kayla girl that got it and didn't her family have a lot of money???? Hmmmmm --quite coincidental isn't it???? Go buy yourself a crown sista!!!

And you are my new Coupon Queen Hero!!! There is no place around here that does the double or triple coupon thing but I still use them at Wally World but I don't feel like I save as much. Any little secrets you know or websites please share!!

And one last thing (I am not trying to outdo our dear friend Krister mind you) Roy cannot stand the Cowboys either?? Where did we go wrong with picking our lifetime partners??? How can it be??? They are obviously just doing it out of spite or something. They can't mean it!!

Kelly said...

Maybe you should get back into pageants to pass the time while Max is at school. You could then fulfill this dream! Your parents must be so disappointed!!! :)

I saved $47.30 at Publix on Sunday. I was psyched! The Muir Glen free products were so fun. I am also following Thrifty Mama's From the ground up-CVS game. Buildin' up my ECB's!

Kelly W.

Andrea said...

thanks for blurring our our license plate numbers. I don't trust your blog friends.

Dolly said...

Another good post Jennifer! Your mom is a beautiful lady and looks great for 60 something...not that, that is old.

I'm sorry Max still has a fever. Hope he gets better soon!

Kristi Smalley said...

I forgot to add that my white van looks like the one in the back.

Don't worry Andrea, when I was there last month, I already wrote your license number down, I found an old bank statement in your living room and I am currently making plans to steal your identity. Jennifer said you wouldn't mind. ha!

Jennifer said...

I thought the same thing about the license plates but I really didn't do that - that's just how the picture came out! But yes, with the millions of people who view my blog every day you can never be too careful.

Way to go, Kelly, on the Publix thing! I feel like they've had some really good sales lately which is nice because I like shopping there.

Wendy - as much as BR paid to get Kayla crowned homecoming queen (roofing business is where the money is), she still came up short too. Adria Lewis won the title our senior year. I can remember standing out on the field and right after Adria was crowned Kayla looked over at me and said something to the effect of "let's go get something to eat." See, she had her priorities right even after her dream of being queen was just crushed.

Kristi, I howled at your falling off the wagon comment...good one!!!

Walking Mom said...

O.K., I need to put the real truth out there. No, Jennifer was not a homecoming queen. However, as I remind her on a regular basis, she was the only child I had who was in the National Honor Society!! Now really, what do you want, brains or beauty?? Oh wait, I didn't mean she is not beautiful, I just meant as you get older, brains are so much more important. (That still is not coming across right.) I am very proud of Jennifer and the Honor Society was a big deal to her father and me. Besides, she has always been a princess to me. Wait, I meant a queen; she has always been a queen to me. O.k. here is the deal, now that I am retired, I will tell all your blogging friends how old I am. 67.....Did I just say that? I must be losing all those brains I have as I wasn't homecoming queen either, but I did have a GPA of 3.95 from the University of Texas at Dallas. Bragging aren't I? And, I saved $35 at the store with all my coupons. See what you have taught me. You CAN teach an old dog new tricks!!!! I love you. And, your birthday is coming up Oct. 22, do your friends know that?

Unknown said...

Jenny,

Edible crayons, coupon savings, Creamy baked chicken....where were you before blogging???!?! Oh, the way it enhances our lives. :)

I'm glad the creamy baked chicken was scrumdillish. I love the pics of your fam. They are all cutie patooties!

Kristi Smalley said...

Walking Mom....YOU ARE HILARIOUS!!!

Denise said...

Wow, some of your peeps leaving comments are writing BOOKS! Just kidding Small's, just kidding.

Funny post Jennifer. I was laughing that you linked your rival Homecoming Queen to a past post! Funny!

And, Happy Birthday to Mrs. Crafty Clardy's mommy!

Donna said...

Wow, so much to say! I LOVE your weekend updates. So intriguing. First off, good job on the Triples! See, you have them down there:)

Second, you probably moved to a larger Christian school in Texas so that weakened your chances of being queen. Guessing from the great number of turnouts, your class in Greenville would have been a class of 10? You would have been a major shoo-in. BTW, the class of '83 looks like a fun bunch--your sis is definitely the cool one in the group!!