My mom use to make Rice Krispies Treats a lot when I was young and then my sisters and I took over the job as we got older. We had bake sales all the time when I was in elementary school and the only thing I ever bought was RKTs. I'm sure you can imagine how happy I was when they finally came out with the prepackaged kind years ago...much to my dismay, they just didn't taste like the ones you made at home - they were too sugary and didn't taste fresh.
As the years went by I made RKTs less and less - I guess I was focusing on other things like dating, then finding a husband and convincing him to marry me and then making babies. Speaking of babies...I spent the 4 days before Max was born on bed rest in the hospital. Don, my mom, sisters, mother-in-law and friends were taking care of me and trying to keep me comfortable, but as you know, hospital food is definitely not delish. The ONLY thing I could think of that sounded good to me was...you guessed it...Rice Krispies Treats! So, my sweet sister Kim, who had flown in from Chicago, made RKTs for me at my other sister's house and brought them to the hospital. I ate every single one of them. And that was the last time I had homemade RKTs until....
I was at the grocery store yesterday and was going down the cereal aisle. My eyes just happened to catch a glimpse of a Rice Krispies box and all the memories came flooding back. I grabbed the mega box and then rushed over to the next aisle and found the marshmallows. And, this morning at 8:30 am I made Rice Krispies Treats for the 1st time since before Max was born.
P.S. I just remembered that Max and I have eaten the RTKs at Fuddruckers and they're almost as good as the homemade kind...almost.








9 comments:
I love them, too! They're low fat which is a plus in my book. I will disagree with you on the ones at Fudruckers, though. Roy loves RKTs too, and he got one of their huge ones once and it was disgusting! I only like them homemade.
Once we made them out of Fruity Pebbles, but they just weren't the same. Cute post!
I love RKT too and seeing this post makes me want to make some. It's been a while since I've had one. Sometimes they make the roof of my mouth sensitive. Max is adorable!
OK, Jennifer....I am really sensitive right now...with this Muffin control and all. I had not thought of RKT in SOOO LONG but now I have a hankerin' for some. Thanks!!!
I laughed at the picture of Max. At first, he didn't look too thrilled with his mother's snack. He is so cute.
You little Martha Stewart, you. I am so proud of you. I bet you make your own homemade bread as well, don't you? I try to get to that depending on how long my churning takes.
I love RKTs! Now I want to make them! You are right about the store bought ones, too sweet! Homemade ones are much better!
Me love em too. They are just so comforting! AND, somewhat low fat! Next time you maket them, put in some chocolate chips with the mellows as you melt them. Yummy!
Low-Fat. Schmo-Fat!! Add peanut butter, chocolate chips, any kind of nut. Those things are GREAT!!! No wonder you are so darn skinny, if you haven't made any since Max was born. They are a DAILY treat around here. Hence the whole extra 25 pounds I am carrying around.
Love the post!!
P.S. Hey, why didn't you bring us any!?!?!?!
YUM YUM!!!...I love them myself...only once i start i can't seem to stop.
Lip smackin' good!
I love the 1st photo of Max...he has a BEAUTIFUL profile...he is such a cutie!
Humm...I wonder how well your RKTs would ship to TX ;-P
Eat some for me Max.
Kimi
First you had me typing so much till my fingers throbbed w/the typing test, now you are about to have me making a serious mess in my kitchen..thanks!!!! and i would soooo miss all the cute things max says if you didn't blog about them...
THis post makes me want to make some RIGHT NOW. Ditto everything you said about RKT. I LOVE the pics of Max exploring your new (to him) delicacy. I can't wait to introduce AP to them.
Post a Comment